When you’re single and 30, being single is always a challenge. However, there is something about the Lenten season that helps me see this challenge in a unique light.
As Lent began, I was counting down to my 31st birthday. It would be easy (and convenient) to think more about my upcoming birthday than to honor Jesus’ 40 days in the wilderness.
But I know this is not God’s will for me. I want to commit myself to trusting God with my future mate more than ever and truly “seek first the Kingdom of God” (Matthew 6:33).
For any male readers who are in a similar position, I’d like to share a few things that have been helpful to me.
Receiving the Eucharist often has been hugely beneficial. The Body and Blood of Jesus is true manhood for any man who’s committed to living sexually pure and treating his body as a temple of the Holy Spirit.
A life of daily prayer, along with reading and meditating on the Word of God, are also important.
In addition, staying connected to a Spirit-filled Catholic Church is vital.
Finally, have a Catholic accountability partner with whom you can share your spiritual struggles and goals, praying for each other. Spend at least half an hour a week talking to this person.
What better time than Lent to get radically committed to trusting God as a single man? This time of year is about something much deeper than abstaining from meat once a week. It’s about being open to the transformational work that God, through the Holy Spirit, wants to do in the depths of the heart.
Reflection question: Have you opened your heart to God’s transformational work?
Read more Lenten reflections written by CatholicMatch members:
- Day 20 – Diane-173836: ‘Single Life Is Not A Barren Spiritual Desert’
- Day 19 – Michelle-629774: ‘Let Us Fast From Comparisons’
- Day 18 – Darrell-622889: ‘Single Life, Followed By Easter Joy’
- Day 17 – Rosalia-544329: ‘Amazingly, I Feel Saved’
- Day 16 – Sherry-118409: ‘My God, Why Have You Forsaken Me?’
- Day 15 – Matthew-695017: ‘Lent Is Not A Dark & Gloomy Time’
- Day 14 – Dawn-58330: ‘I want To Have Faith Like A Child’
- Day 13 – Dan-595920: ‘I Always Find Excuses’
- Day 12 – Annette-639693: ‘In The Quiet I Hear God’s Voice Clearly’
- Day 11 – Ron-40989: ‘Remember We Are Purifying Our Love’
- Day 10 – Linda-504414: ‘God Might Be Trying To Teach Us Something Vital’
- Day 9 – Andy-246798: ‘I’m Happy To Take A Break From Dating Women’
- Day 8 – Marci-365801: ‘I’m Worried I Have Drifted Off Course’
- Day 7 –Tina-401203: ‘Waiting For Our Lives To Begin’
- Day 6 – Erik-215414: ‘No One Said This Was Going To Be Easy’
- Day 5 – Cate-291547: ‘I Felt Stuck In A Second Adolescence’
- Day 4 – Ryan-672439: ‘God Loves A Good Comeback’
- Day 3 – Theresa-630252: ‘I Think Of This As Preparation Time’
- Day 2 – Barb-505508: ‘We Have To Read Between The Lines’
- Day 1 – Richard-632838: ‘I Recognize How Much I Need God’s Grace’