You know you’re in love when you don’t want to fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. - Dr. Seuss
Dating and falling in love… What an incredible experience! It’s a step-by-step process of taking an acquaintence-level relationship all the way to true romance and you might say there’s an art to doing this.
People are always looking for unique ways to build romance; creative dates instead of the typical dinner and a movie, out-of-the-ordinary ways to propose marriage, etc. I’d like to offer you some ideas on creative ways to show affection for the one you are involved with. I call them extraordinary because although they are simple, they are overlooked as ways to show affection.
I believe that there should be a reasonable amount of physical affection a couple can show each other during the dating process, but we all know that too much physical affection leads to dangerous situations. I wanted to share these ideas with you that are creative ways to show your affection without getting into that danger zone. And sometimes, the affect these actions have speak much louder than a hug or a kiss.
10. Make your date’s favorite meal completely from scratch and with fresh ingredients. This is a good one especially if you ultimately marry. Then his/her favorite meal you’ll know like the back of your hand and can whip up anytime.
9. Fill up the gas tank after using his/her car and leave a pack of favorite gum, mints, or candy on the console. It’s always a pleasant surprise for your date to return to the car and find this. You might even collect any trash laying around and throw it away.
8. Make frequent eye contact and give genuine smiles. These little gifts take a split second, cost nothing, and can make your date feel appreciated and exhilerated by your sincere reactions.
7. Take a real interest in the sport he loves and learn as much as you can about it. This might be a natural for many women who love sports, but for others like yours truly, it’s not easy. But making the effort to engage in a sport he loves is a great way to bring a new facet to your relationship.
6. Have the waiter or waitress deliver your hand-written card or note to your date for him/ her to read while you have gone to use the restroom. I did this once when we were dating and once again after we were married (so it wouldn’t become expected or mundane). I think I enjoyed it as much as he did!
5. Take the time to tell her why you are attracted to her. Women love to hear their date finds them physically attractive, but they love to hear what else makes them attractive.
4. Take the time to tell him why you are attracted to him. His strengths and talents, his looks, reasons why you trust him, etc.
3. Order a heart-shaped pizza to be delivered when you cannot be there. Yes, it can be done. When my husband and I were dating, he lived in Atlanta and I lived in Connecticut. I called a pizza restaurant near his apartment and asked them to make a heart-shaped, meat-lovers pizza and they thought it was a great idea! When the delivery guy brought the pizza, he wouldn’t leave until Jim had opened the box and saw the surprise. It had a good affect on everyone
2. Bring or send her flowers. Gentlemen, you just can’t go wrong with flowers. Period.
1. Tuck an affectionate note inside his wallet for him to find next time he opens it or slip one into her purse. I’ve actually uses blank business cards like the ones you can find at office supply stores to write a note and slip it in.
When you do find the right one for you and get married, you can’t stop dating each other. You need to keep the romance alive and even more important, you need to continue to show each other your love in creative ways. I hope these suggestions help you hone your skills for showing affection and having an unforgettable romance!